Thursday, February 5, 2009

Is there a Disconnect?

I can't seem to reconcile this in my mind.

The lead article in the Daily News tells us local police face $400,000 in state cuts, specifically the community police grants.

Then a separate article inside reports on the ongoing efforts to build a senior center in Newburyport. And that includes this tidbit:

The Friends of the Council on Aging and other groups must now secure $5 million in funding, the estimated cost of the center. So far, the city is not providing any funding, but the state is expected to contribute funds.


Is that still the case?

Speaking of the senior center, would the former Carlson office on Green Street make any sense as a sight? Parking is limited, but the location is ideal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I attended several meetings of the proposed senior center and heard many people comment on nixing that idea and building a community center instead.

What happened?

Bean said...

All I know is that Deval Patrick is governor, so anything is possible. There could be some monies earmarked for seniors in the budget, maybe someone should look into that.
I won't debate the merits of a senior center or a community center, but I do support our men in blue. I'd hate to see the police budget slashed, only to watch a senior center be erected.
Ironically, I was reecnetly ripped off ($20) by a senior in town. Maybe I should get the police after him? Hmmm.

Other Port Posters