Friday, February 20, 2009

Congrats to the Daily News

All right, enough of this.

I've been holding onto this post for a week. I wanted to congratulate the Daily News for coming home with a string of awards at the New England Press Association, but I also wanted to take a few minutes to state, without hesitation, that I enjoy reading the Daily News.

This isn't the boldest of admissions, I know. But it seems like the favorite past time around these parts is kicking at our local daily. I might have applied a shod foot once or twice myself, but I've been fairer than most. (For example, I don't resort to using the tired cliche of a nickname offered regularly around these parts by many online and printed publications. Yes, Snooze rhymes with News and it suggests the inducement of sleep. We get it. Enough. It's not clever.)

I'm telling you a community this size is blessed to have a daily newspaper. There are countless communities, much larger than this one, that rely only upon a free weekly for their news. We're lucky to have both. In fact, I'll broaden my thanksgiving for living in a two-newspaper (at minimum) town.

Yes, the Daily News occasionally drops the ball and misses a story.  But I'll let you in on a little secret. Newspaper work ain't as easy at it looks.
I had designs on going into a point-by-point argument as to why this is so, but I'm going to let my argument end with this: anyone who wants our city governments to do more with less resources should point to the Daily News as a case study of how that's done. These people, at least the folks I know, work incredibly hard.

Bottom line to me, the first thing I do in the morning is check the front stoop for the paper. That says something.

For those who missed it, the paper picked up:


1st place: Newburyport Magazine, Staff, in the Niche Publication category for highest achievement in a publication distributed outside the newspaper, with comments by the judges: "Classy design and beautiful color reproduction. Love the layout, especially the spreads. Type and images work well together. Clever headlines add a spark to this fun and sophisticated piece." The magazine is the creation of The Daily News staff and is edited by Features Editor Sonya Vartabedian.
1st place: The Daily News, staff, in the Environmental Reporting category for the Plum Island erosion series called Fighting the Tide, which offered a historical look at the problem and explained the scientific and environmental impact.
1st place: The Daily News, Stephen Tait, in the Business/Economic Reporting category, for the series called Nantucket North, describing the parallels between downtown Newburyport and Nantucket, due to significant investment by developer Steven Karp.
2nd place: The Daily News, Katie Farrell, in the Transportation/Commuter Reporting category for the Whittier Bridge story about the rusty braces that had fallen off, and how state officials responded.
3rd place: The Daily News, Sonya Vartabedian, in the Arts & Entertainment Section category for the weekly Do North section, which is published on Thursdays.

No comments:

Other Port Posters