Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Who Loves a Parade

Had an interesting conversation with a friend who knows his way around local Memorial Day parades. It's his opinion that relatively few people attend Newburyport's Memorial Day parade while others--like Amesbury--draw quite well.

I'll fess up. I didn't go. In fact, I forgot there was a parade until I was driving down Green Street and saw smatterings of folks gathering on either side. So if there is a problem I suppose I'm part of it.

I don't really have a legitimate excuse for not going. We were committed to doing yard work all day, and we did just that. Again, we didn't actively choose not to go. We simply didn't know of the alternative.

Ari Herzog did go, and he reports on his experiences in his blog along with some nice photos. According to his account, he only noticed four city councillors marched in the parade. (My friend had offered a similar observations.)

(Update: Peter McClelland has photographic evidence of a wider councillor showing. I'd be surprised by a massive no-show of councillors. I'm guessing viewing them was just a timing thing.)

I'm happy that friend, neighbor and ward 4 councillor Ed Cameron was one of them, but his appearance doesn't get me off the hook. I voted for him to represent me in city government, not parades.

Honestly, I didn't grow up connecting Memorial Day to honoring our veterans. No one in my immediate family served in the military (although my grandfather did survive the sinking of his commercial vessel, which was torpedoed by a German U-Boat off the shores of New Jersey.) Instead, I spent my day being driven from family gravesite to family gravesite, a experience I don't really practice today. Intellectually, I know the connection exists, but it's not in my core.

So what gives? I have some theories.

* Many of these veteran-centric traditions are fading. Military service doesn't directly impact as many families as it once did. And one could argue it impacts even fewer families in Newburyport, although families in this community certainly have sacrificed.

* The Spring Festival--or whatever the weekend fair was called--keeps the locals away from the downtown. Perhaps people are opting to stay away from the traffic and congestion, so that means they won't attend the parade.

* Folks are just busy all the time, so they don't want to miss any opportunity to work in a yard or visit with friends.

* Lastly, blame the newbies like myself who just aren't up on local customs.

I recognize none of these theories are very strong reasons for not attending, and it's likely the ultimate answer or answers is an amalgamation of all of them.

But I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say. Is there a problem that needs a solution?

Here's the Daily News' slide show.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always thought Memorial Day is intended to honor those who gave their lives. Veterans Day is for those who served.

Anonymous said...

Ari's estimate of councilors in attendance is mistaken. In addition to Councilors Cameron, Jones, Hutcheson and Ives, which he noted, there were Councilors Shanley, O'Brien, Connell, McCavitt and Holaday. There was another person up there with the councilors at City Hall who could have been Councilor Derrivan, but I don't know him. Also on stage was School Committee yakker Bruce Menin, apparently chewing gum (very visibly) during the ceremony. Incidentally, I hear the mayor was in Florida, attending his daughter's graduation from medical school.

Tom Salemi said...

Anon 1-Important distinction. Thanks.

Anon 2-I'd rather we didn't go down the name-calling route since it's got little to do with the topic. But thanks for the info.

Tom Salemi said...

Congrats to the mayor and his family.

Ari Herzog said...

I did not see the City Hall ceremony. It's very possible that other councilors attended the City Hall event, but I can only comment on who I saw march up State Street and over to the cemetery.

As far as school committee members, I did see Bruce Menin and Nick deKanter marching too.

Bean said...

I didn't attend, even though I was in town all stuffing my face on the delicious fatty foods that the street vendors were selling. The parades in town seem like nothing but a long line of siren-blasting fire engines. I do like the Santa parade, though. Sad, I suppose, that I skip a parade on a lovely spring day that memorializes the great men and women that served our country yet attend a parade in winter that celebrates the arrival of a fictional icon.

Anonymous said...

Nice slide show, that Greek kid they have really has a good eye.

Anonymous said...

Are telling me Santa is fictional??

Anonymous said...

I believe he's Lithuanian.

Anonymous said...

We usually go to the ceremony, but we read somewhere that it was at 11:30. We were walking toward city hall when we saw the end of the parade go by. I guess it was at 10:30?

Other Port Posters