Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Take a long, deep sniff

One of my favorite movies of all time is "The Paper."

Lots of reasons why. I happened to be working at the Daily News when I first saw it. At the time, I thought I wanted to be Michael Keaton's Henry (God what is his last name), a rough and tumble reporter at an edgy newspaper. At least I admired folks like that. But as the movie rolled on I saw qualities of his life I knew I didn't want and, frankly, probably couldn't handle.

So the movie is important to me. But I also value it because of the script, a cascade of snappy lines that you might miss the first, second or third time through but eventually you'll catch every word that was said, and you'll enjoy a well-earned laugh.

One of the more prominent lines, and one we use frequently around the household is, "Sometimes you can just smell a horrendously shitty day on the way, can't you?"

Perfect. Just perfect. We all know the distinct stink of a coming shit storm. (I'm growing to really like the term.) And sometimes it makes the ordeal a little more tolerable if we just accept the doom-filled forecast and ride the storm out with the only smile we can muster.

I know. What the hell am I talking about. Okay, here's my point.

I admire the approach the mayor's taking toward figuring out the budget problem. I have some questions that I'll ask--and hopefully will get answered--as the process moves along. But overall it seems like a reasonable plan to restoring some lost services, steadying the fiscal ship, and even putting us on a good course for the future.

[Add: the mayor is likely to seek a debt exclusion, which is a temporary tax, rather than a true override, which is permanent. So I'm referring to the potential debt exclusion vote. Please read the DN article.]

But I think I smell a horrendously shitty fall election coming. I might be wrong. I hope I am, but I've got a feeling this override election will be a tough one.

A few reasons why:

People are scared: Jobs are getting cut. Banks getting bought. People are losing homes. If we're not actually in a recession this certainly feels like one. In fact, this reminds me a whole lot of the early 1990s when I graduated college uncertain if I'd ever find a decent job. In short, people won't part with their money too easily at all, and it's hard to blame them.

Presidential Politics: No matter who the Democrats finally decide upon, this election will be ugly and divisive. Folks like myself who wonder how our current president could have been any worse will shake our heads at the thought at a continuation of Bush policies. Supporters of McCain, whom I mostly like, will ask how the hell I can trust anybody but McCain during this time of global strife. Whatever your position, this is going to stir up some hard feelings that we'll carry to the polls.

The Water Bill Fiasco: Yes, it's an enterprise fund. Yes, the dollars lost or regained won't help the school police or highway department. But people don't make that distinction. Depending upon how the meter reading falls, folks will either feel they've been hosed by the city (pun intended). Or that they're neighbors are water rustlers. Either way, I can see people deciding they'll issue their protest by not voting for any sort of override or debt exclusion.

The City Council: Don't get me wrong. I love the current council. I was overjoyed back in November when Cameron, Ives, Holaday & Co. swept into office (while mourning Gary Roberts, of course.) The politics of the council majority largely match my own, so I'll feel represented. (I guess I'm also a "progressive.") But I don't know how many "me's" there are out there. Certainly there were enough to elect the current board, but there are number of "not-me's" out there as well. They will have some representation when the council votes on whether or not to have an override, but I'm not certain there will be enough to give them the sense their voice has been heard. (Mary Eaton put forth a similar theory months ago. I'm just applying it to the override.) So they'll speak rather loudly at the ballot box, and many from the "me" group may vote along with them if they're at all bothered by the above three points.

Old vs. New: Gillian Swart hit upon this point today on her blog. I won't get into details because I'd be commenting on a blog that's commenting on a blog. But she was disappointed to find out there is a stronger townie element to Newburyport than she had thought. This group generally resents--or regrets--what's happened to Newburyport over the past 20 or 30 years. Not everyone is bitter. Mary Eaton wrote thoughtfully on the subject a bit ago. But I've also read comments where "true Newburyporters" blame newcomers--sorry carpetbaggers--for seizing control of the city and running it into the ground. In the same breath we're accused of never leaving the confines of our highly valued homes to be part of the community. That's tough to do. Apparently, someone established a cut off date that neatly and easily determines whether or not your opinions should matter. If you lived here before the date, you're defending a way of life. Move to town after the date and you're a troublemaker. To those folks I offer a hearty...whatever.

(Hackett! That was Henry's last name.)

I'm sure we can find some other reasons. I considered adding blogs to the list. I think we've got five or six already and, well, this isn't really hard to do. I could see a few more popping up pushing forth one agenda or another. Done well, and we'd all benefit. But if folks start tossing blog bombs we could be in trouble.

So there we are. I hope I'm wrong. I just fear it's going to be too easy to slip into anger and answer calls for "outrage." We can turn a fiscal problem into our own little civil war. Supporters of any override measure will be accused of wanting to force our senior citizens from their homes. Opponents will be told they hate children.

It doesn't need to be that way. I think the mayor's proposal--with its reliance on a debt exclusion to pay off existing and new city debt--might be able to muster broad support. I'll personally be shooting for some good old fashioned civil discourse.

Am I nuts? (on this matter, not in general.)


-

4 comments:

Gillian Swart said...

Tom,

Watching "The Paper" (and "The Wire") is what gave me the mistaken impression that newsrooms are places with free and often contentious exchange of thoughts and ideas. Silly me.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you worked in the wrong newsroom.

Anonymous said...

The mayor wants a debt exclusion, and not an override, this time around. There's a big difference, Tom, but you seem to be using the two terms interchangeably.

Tom Salemi said...

Fair point.

I do know the difference and should be be more careful.

I'm tempted to say it's a case of semantics. Afterall, a debt exclusion is a type of override, albeit a temporary one.

But there is a big difference between a permanent and temporary tax hike. So I'll be more careful to state the difference.

I'd hate to add to the confusion.

Other Port Posters