Sunday, December 12, 2010

Where Has Tom Been

Okay, our time-fighting Masked Preservationist literally made me laugh out loud with this one.

No, I've no plans to die, although I suppose very few people do. In fact, I haven't felt this good in a long time.

I spent the past year relearning how much work a new baby can be, particularly one with chronic ear infections. I also had an unpleasant visit from the Herniated Disc Fairy, which laid me up for a good four or five months. My mind was not where I wanted it to be for public venting.

I'm grateful to the voters for not electing me to the Charter Commission as I would have had little time to spare. However, I still would have been more productive than a few of the folks who did get elected.

But I'm back. It took a friend's suggestion that I had quit blogging to relight the fire. The fire feels good.

Now, to MP's point. His critique is valid. I may be a bit too cavalier in my assessment of the impact of the meals tax and parking, but that doesn't make me wrong. (I'll admit that I thought the meals tax already kicked in, but the fact I didn't know it hasn't demonstrates that the impact will be barely noticeable.)

I see both almost as a matching contribution like we used to get in our 401(k)s. Yes, I'll be contributing money to the city but so will people who until now have contributed nothing directly to our city - the tourists.

And I honestly don't think they'll mind one bit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

does the meal tax tax the cost of the meal, or the cost of the meal+sales tax? Or conversely, does the sales tax tax the meal tax? Would be nice to know if i'm getting taxed on my tax (which i believe isn't legal)

Tom Salemi said...

It adds .75% onto the existing %6.25% meal tax.

So the entire meal is taxed at 7%.

If it's a $100 meal, the state getes $6.25 and the city gets 75 cents.

Anonymous said...

ok, so its not a double tax. wouldn't have surprised me if they tried to slip that one by us.

Tom Salemi said...

Nope.

Where I'll get tripped up though is the tip.

I'm chronic overtipper. A college friend who I hadn't seen in nearly two decades asked if I stll chided people who didn't tip 20%.

I don't stick my nose into other people's business, but I'm a chronic overtipper.

So I usually base my gratuity on the total bill, including taxes, not just the actual food and drink total.

So this tax increase might actually fill the pockets of our servers in town, although I'm not sure how far 20% of .75 of a percentage point can go these days.

Other Port Posters