Monday, December 27, 2010

The Good Gatzby

So suddenly I'm Nick Carraway? From our blogosphere neighbor, P. Preservationist....

Believe it or not (thankfully), most people come to this City to thoroughly and richly enjoy all that it offers.     Most people are more in tune with Tom Salemi’s Blog rather than a hard-hitting activist site like mine.     While I’m out tripping and cursing on the broken sidewalks, the rest are tipping another glass of fine wine and enjoying a tasty meal at our many restaurants. 

Our time-fighting crusader says he's taking one for the rest of us happy go-lucky folks by fighting so hard for the things, big and small, that make this community so special. And he's right. I'm glad he's out there raising some complex isssues.

I admire his blog. He's often right (which means I agree with him. Take today's post for example.) He's got a really firm grasp of many of the complex issues facing our city. And damn if he isn't prolific.

His site also is a treasure trove of information, although the presentation could be better. His old site was a mess. I'm hopeful his new format will be cleaner.

But I have trouble rallying behind his words at times because I find him to be unreasonable at times. Perhaps that's his intent, but he's not going to get the support his posts warrant without some adjustments. So I'm taking a great deal of liberties to suggest a few other changes to deliver his message more clearly.

First, lose the anonymous tag. I know his secret identify as do most people he writes about. And if they don't they can easily ask around and find out. I never found any of his posts to be controversial enough to warrant an alias.

Second, drop the name-calling. Divisive tags like "dark-siders" and "light-siders" only dilute the message. As Tom Ryan knows, I firmly believe we all have elements of light and dark side. I don't think it's wise to force us to choose sides.

Third, tone it down a little. How does Donna Holaday become Bryon Matthews II by having windows replaced at the Emma Andrews Library. I haven't really seen her "my way or the highway" approach, but I'm not intimate with the details. But if you're going to make the charge, maybe some more evidence. I also don't think it's fair to assign the plans to demolish the downtown to Matthews, but I can't find my Port in Progress book right now. (I do, however, know for a FACT that Terminator II was not better than the first. Empire Strikes Back would have been a better example.) He's also assigned a few other nicknames to people that aren't accurate or fair.

That's it. Just some feedback from a loyal reader. Well, my chardonnay simply MUST be chilled by now. Time to go enjoy life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Star Trek II is better than Star Trek I as well.

Bean said...

Rocky II and Godfather II are better than the firsts.

Tom Salemi said...

To Anonymous, yes, absolutely. And remains a Top 3 ST. Film

As for you Bean, I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you there. Yeah.

Both are close, but I'll take the originals over the sequel.

Other Port Posters