Friday, December 17, 2010

Parking is Not Dead Yet

Well, one of the benefits of not having time to post earlier this week is I stop myself from looking like a complete idiot. Or more of a complete idiot if you're so inclined.

On Tuesday morning I would have declared parking dead, just as the Daily News did in its headline. I just didn't think the NRA was inclined to lower its asking price, particularly after hearing the revenue number they brought in each year from parking, over $100g each year after management expenses. The city seemed to be getting a good deal at $75,000.

But the NRA has since struck a concliatory tone and seems open to talking further, according to the Daily News. And Mayor Holady, to her credit, isn't giving up. Bob Cronin also suggested in his statement at Monday meeting suggested discussions would continue.

So this thing might go forward afterall.

But I have three concerns:

Short-term: I fear that some councilors who are dead set against paid parking at any price are using the terms of the deal to justify their votes against. Brian Derrivan, to his credit, has come out and said he's against paid parking. I think his position is the wrong one, but I admire him for stating it so bluntly. I do wonder if others on the council share his opposition and will find reason to vote against paid parking no matter the terms.

Medium-term: I'd be surprised if anyone legitimate runs against Holaday this year, but the closer implementation of this gets to the election the less likely it's going to happen. As it is, I wonder if the meters and signage could be in place by the summer time.

Long-term: After hearing NRA member Patty Dorfman state how much the agency is bringing in each year I started to salivate. What happens is a paid parking plan goes through - with the NRA lots included - and it's a booming success, bringing in hundreds of thousands to the city. Where will be the incentive to do anything more with the NRA lots if they prove to be such parking cash cows? Sure we can move the spaces to a parking garage, but we'll have to pay debt service for the construction of the garage. In four or five years, or whenever a garage came to fruition, that might be seen as a budget cut after we've grown accustomed to that revenue.

Just some thoughts...

As an aside, Bill Plante had an interesting piece today.

No comments:

Other Port Posters