Friday, August 7, 2009

State of the Blog

Gentle Reader(s?)

I've been flooded with emails from people concerned over the condition of this blog and its blogger. (editors note: This is a total lie. He hasn't received a single email.) I therefore felt compelled to write this update.

I haven't posted much these past month or two and when I did, the posts, well, mostly sucked.

I've got a few reasons. First, work is crazy busy. Second, my wife has been in the home stretch of bringing a bouncing burden on your taxes (two weeks and counting). Third, I really haven't felt like it.

Truth, I wrote several posts but couldn't bear to publish them. They seemed forced and, at times, shrill.

I hate shrill. The world is filled with shrill; stuffed to the gills with shrill; in dire need of a serious shrill pill.

So I just chose to shut up. That's the best part of this job, the fact that it's not a job. It's supposed to be fun damnit.

I think I'm turning a corner, but you be the judge. As always, I appreciate your interest in the nonsense coming out of my head.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tom for having the courage and sensitivity to put it out there.
Your message resonates with my current state of mind. The world seems so chaotic to me these days. I'm sick of the shrill too, and perplexed that our Nation has come to such a point at a time we so need to be finding common ground and work together. I work for a large multi-national where every other month a new round of layoffs are announced. Just this week we had another one. I enjoy reading your blog, but there does come a time to let go, turn your attention to what's really important, and thank you for caring and loving this community as much as you do.

Tom Salemi said...

Amen.

People are spending too much time watching the scoreboard and arguing calls when we should just focus on playing the game right.

Thanks for the kind comments on the blog. I know any success or following is due to the fact that people love this place as much as I do.

Good luck at work. That's tough to handle.

Emo said...

We don't allow fun. The meritocratic ethic states that everything must be done to the full -- otherwise, it's a reflection that you're not a serious person. Somehow, amateur became a bad word.

Other Port Posters