Friday, July 10, 2009

Psst, can you pass me the mojito

Well, I have tried and tried and tried, but I could NOT secure an alcholic drink--or any beverage whatsoever--from the folks dining on our city's fair sidewalks. Cheap bastards.

So perhaps we can put that red herring of a concern to rest. I guarantee that sidewalk dining will not turn our youths into $9 martini or boutique beer junkies. Let's go fry some other fish.

And while we're on the topic, can we lose the whole "European Feel" description. Save it for the NED marketing material but let's keep it out of everyday conversation. As one friend noted, Atlanta, Ga. is lousy with outside dining and I don't think anyone would confuse it with Paris.

Bottomline, side walk dining is good for diners and good for dining establishments. Let's figure out a way to make it work. I think any concerns about alcohol being passed to minors are ridiculous, and the businesses certainly need to make sure the sidwalks are clear enough.

Oh, and I hope the city is collecting a fee for the use of our sidewalks. Nothing too crazy, but it would seem fair.

BTW, I'm still a little lost on how a fire truck is supposed to get down Inn Street. This was reportedly a concern when Oregano's wanted to serve liquor outside but couldn't do so without erecting some barriers.

Won't those two giant wooden pillars in front of the Inn Street Barber shop get in the way, Oregano's seating or no Oregano's seating?

No comments:

Other Port Posters