Friday, June 5, 2009

Heard it here first--again

Oh the power this blog wields.

First, I called for the creation of a Farmer's Market. And it will be done.

This morning, I read some locals are exploring the idea--or implementing actually--of establishing a local currency to encourage folks to shop locally. Read about it here in the Daily News.

The proponents say they're basing the idea on a successful program in the Berkshires, and it's an idea that loyal commenter Bean brought to our attention last July when I put out the call for new ideas to bolster our local economy.

I have an idea. What if the city created it's own currency to help support local busineses? "Clipper Cash", perhaps? Out in Western Mass. they have BerkShares, and it is helping to steer people to local shops. I think it could work here.


I actually started writing a post praising the idea, but never finished it. Yet another missed opportunity on my part.

Anyway, sound idea. I like it.

I suppose it's just a matter of time before someone runs off with other ideas germinated at this site.

I'm still pushing for a completely wireless downtown and a lifesized Clipper Ship made from string cheese, although I concede advances in mobile technology might make the former impractical.

Good work Bean.

No comments:

Other Port Posters