Friday, September 19, 2008

What about our Solar Express?

I credit the Triton School officials for gently applying the brakes to their rush to build solar panels, as reported in today's Daily News.

Perhaps we should consider a similar slowdown.

Thankfully, the city's legal counsel convinced John Moak that he at least needed the school committee's approval on the project before going forward. He got the vote, although it wasn't unanimous. (I can't find the article on the Daily News web site.)

I understand the implications of the expiring tax credit. But I've personally come to regret nearly every major purchase decision that I had to make quickly. So I wasn't at all comfortable with the Mayor's push to sign a 20-year-contract, apparently with little or no input from the school committee or, apparently, the city's alternative energy committee. The state didn't ease my concerns at all by waiving the requirement that the city go through the bid process.

But the published article I read about the school committee's vote raised an interesting point. Apparently, the federal government is moving to extend the tax credit for the companies that supply the solar panels, therefore removing the game clock that reportedly forced the mayor to rush into discussions with one solar panel vendor.

In her account, Gillian Swart reported on another interesting element.

Tim Brennan, NRA member and employee of National Grid, speaking as a private citizen cautioned the group over entering into the contract due to the fact that electricity rates might actually flatten out since they are in a peak right now.

Brennan said that the city could end up paying hundreds of thousands of dollars over market, but Mayor John Moak said the city will save $110,000 in the first 3 years and as much as $2.7 million overall.

I'm admittedly ignorant to the ebbs and flows of energy pricing, but it does seem to me we've seen historic peaks in energy costs. Is this the best time to sign a long-term contract?

Furthermore, the Daily News reports on concerns from Steve Cole about some difficulties Pentucket has had with its solar panels (which I never knew they had.) I'd love it if someone (Daily News) could shine a little light on that element of the discussion.

I support the notion of putting solar panels on the school. I'm just not comfortable with how this process has unfolded. I might feel better if I heard the city shopped around a bit and concluded, after a bit of public deliberation, that this was indeed the best deal.

Perhaps this has happened already? Could somebody shine some light on this?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

shouldn't a project like this have to be bid on? from what i've heard the city didn't open the project to bidders, they went with the guy that brought the deal to them...

Gillian Swart said...

Tom,

I know Steph Weaver was one "no," but I couldn't tell who the other was (I believe it was either Nick or Steve). Steve said Pentucket had to replace its system after 10 years.

Anonymous said...

Pentucket has had solar panels on the HS since 1999, the inverter malfunctioned 3 or 4 years ago and last year they received new panels through a grant from the Commonweath of Massachusetts Division of Energy Resources.
These panels are used as a teaching tool with est annual production of 4000 kw/hrs. This grant was subject to the bidding process.

Other Port Posters