Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Greenhead Greenhorn

I don't mean to suggest reporters these days are a bunch of sissies, but today's article in the Daily News reminds me that, when I wrote my first greenhead story in 1993, Editor Cal Killeen ordered me to head out Plum Island, interview a few folks, and allow myself to get bit.

I still remember watching the little bastard take a chomp.

I'd link to the article but, of course, we didn't have the Internet back then. Good thing too, it ran with a rather cheesy photo of me smacking imaginary bugs with my reporter's notebook.

Actually, those were good days.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom

Tell me that the Snooze didn't "stage" a photo op! The humanity....

Tom Salemi said...

I prefer to think of it as a "dramatization."

Or a, photographer needs to snap a photo and get along to the next assignment-ization.

Bean said...

You come from an old breed of hard-nosed, fearless, investigative reporters, Tom. They don't make them like you anymore.

Tom Salemi said...

Phil, remind me to tell you how I broke the case of the stolen John Adams papers that were found in Salisbury....

Emo said...

You would fit in at the various Foreign Correspondents Clubs in Asia, where the most popular topic of conversation is "That paper's really gone downhill since I worked there."

Other Port Posters