Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Going Downnntown....

Okay, a few observations from my recent strolls downtown.


  • Beer taps at the former Fowle's look great, just like the belong. A great pile of kudos to the owners of 17 State Street. Nice addition to the downtown, and the coffee - while not fantastic - is solid. But room for improvement there.
  • What's with the symmetrically placed Stonewall Kitchen bags in the empty storefront a door or two up from Ganesh? At first I thought someone left their trash in the window, but there's an apparently empty bag sitting equidistant from the center of the door. Is this a sign of things to come?
  • As much as I oppose chain store bans, I'm having trouble getting behind the stores themselves.  The new frozen yogurt place on Market Square has drawn some rave reviews, but I'd still prefer going to Grams (or the Gelatto place when I'm feeling fancy.)
  • The waterfront was absolutely buzzing on Saturday night. The Bounty and movie on a Market Landing Park were welcome additions.
That's it. Lame blogger, signing out....oh, and wish a Happy Birthday to Mary Baker Eaton.



9 comments:

Mary Baker Eaton said...

Thank you for my birthday wish!! :)

Anonymous said...

2 more chains added to the mix, not going to be newburyport at all pretty soon

Tom Salemi said...

Yeah, I remember the good old days when that was a Bergsen's and I'd have to go to TCBY to get my frozen yogurt.

Yes, I'm being a smart aleck. But chains have been around Newburyport for a while. Hell, Starbucks is closing on 20 years.

Bean said...

Tom, Stonewall has been eyeing downtown NBPT for a while now and they have been in talks with a few of the landlords. My guess is they locked in on that space and will be moving in.

Also, I am with you on chains but Orange Leaf is fantastic. I love Gram's, don't get me wrong, but under their new ownership it just doesn't have the same homey feel that it used to have anyway.

Michelle said...

Tom, Stonewall has Newburyport job openings for their new Nbpt location on their website. I am actually pretty excited about this. Now I don't need to drive to York ME.
I also agree that Gram's just doesn't have 'it" anymore.

Tom Salemi said...

Thanks Michelle, I'm sure they'll do well here.

For any future posts, might I ask we steer away from critiquing businesses, even benign ones? People got to make a living.

I supposed I opened the door with my comment.

Anonymous said...

yes tom, citing chains that already existed or currently exist doesn't change the fact that there are more and more coming and more and more local shops leaving, weren't you a Buy Local supporter at one point?

Tom Salemi said...

What do you mean "were"? I am a buy local supporter.

That said, I put the economic good of the downtown - and my faith in the market - over my own purchasing preferences.

I don't think a chain ban would be healthy.

I also don't think a single-store business has a very good chance in this day and age. The economy favors chains, big and small.

That said, we should be proud of our local stories: Abraham's, Jabberwocky, Book Rack, Dyno, Middle Street books, Eureka, Dragon's Next, our many restaurants, our local ice cream stores, clothes stores.

We're rich in smaller, independently owned stores.

Anonymous said...

we're well on our way to becoming Nantucket North

Other Port Posters