Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A New Day Dawning?

Earlier this week I was quite confident the debt exclusions questions would pass, at least for the two directed at funding the building projects at the Nock and Bresnahan. I wasn't as sure if enough voters wanted to build a Senior Center, but that ultimately did pass as well  with healthy but hardly overwhelming degree.

But I'm a firm believer in jinxes so I shut my mouth.

Now, with the most excellent results in hand, I can write this post with confidence. The Port Pride Community effort was, without a doubt, one of the better run political operations I'd seen. The group was passionate, very well organized, methodical and took nothing for granted even up until the closing minutes when they rallied the troops to make the final rounds of phone calls to voters who had been identified as likely yes votes.

How did it work out. The Daily News reports that 44 percent of voters turned out for a special election. This saddens me to say, but that's an astounding turn out in this day an age. Last November's election - in which we reelected Mayor Holaday, approved a charter, and elected the current council - only drew 29% of the voters.

The election prior to that pitted then Candidate Holaday against challenger James Shanley, a clash of two spirited and well-run campaigns. And that drew only 37%.  (See more details in my Newburyport Today column.)

As I said, astounding.

Even prior to knowing the success of the effort, I'd planned to write a column imploring the organizers of Port Pride to keep at it to avoid the temptation to disband and to melt back into our suburban wilderness of soccer games and school meetings. No doubt, those things are vital to our families and our community. But Newburyport will be stronger and better if the people who made last night possible keep on their political pilot lights and maintain a strong interest in community.

Then, at last night's celebration at David's Tavern, I realized such a post wasn't necessary. The Port Pride folks get it. They know what they've created, and, most important, they've tasted success.

I'll resist the urge to tap into hyperbole. I won't offer up predictions of "seismic shifts" and other potential overstatements, but I'm feeling quite confident that this town won't be exactly the same again.

And that's a great, great thing.

Port Pride, Indeed.


1 comment:

John G said...

Well said, Tom. I think you are right. Things feel a bit different today. It was a referendum on this community's willingness to care for its youngest and oldest citizens. The puzzle of community feels one piece more complete. I like it here.

John Giordano

Other Port Posters