Monday, August 15, 2011

Got a Feeling

Back in 1997 when I was covering Newburyport City Hall, I thought I'd be writing the final chapter of the Water Front Saga when then Mayor Lisa Mead and Wannabe Hotel Developer Roger Foster agreed on a plan that that would pave the way for the hotel's construction.

I obviously was a bit naive.

Last week's NRA meeting gave me a similar feeling. The people present - while I agree not a guaranteed representative of the city at large - seemed receptive to the idea that we'd have to build on some of the waterfront to pay for the desired open space.

Today, the Masked Preservationist confirmed that the tide is turning with this little post, "The Final Word on the NRA, Paid Parking & The Waterfront."

If this is the best he's got.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see the masked man is now accepting sponsors for the people's crusades (I'd post this on the MP blog but it would be deleted...must agree with the masked man or no opinion for you-- one year!)

Tom Salemi said...

To be honest, I've got no issue with his accepting sponsors. We disagree on issues and tactics, but the MP works hard.

Joe DiBiase said...

The song should be, "They Razed a Parking Lot and Put Up Bigger Park." Not as melodic, I'll admit, but it makes the point.

I agree with you about those in attendance at the NRA meeting last week, however those most adamant against any building on the NRA property were mostly not in attendance. The fireworks are yet to come.

Tom Salemi said...

Agreed.

Anonymous said...

What seems to be forgotten is that the Lingerie Queen put the final bullet in that late 90's hotel proposal by threatening lawsuit(s) over the idea that the proposed hotel would impinge upon her designers' creativity by blocking their view of the water.

- The Carrot

Other Port Posters