Thursday, March 24, 2011

Forget Nantucket North

We're officially earning the designation as South Portsmouth.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Portsmouth is a fine burg, but I do sometimes wonder if businesses with Newburyport and Portsmouth locations like Ganesh, Agave and one or two other I can't recall feed off each other or on each other. Newburyport and Portsmouth must be far enough apart - and distinct enough in offerings - to make the combination work.

The newest experiment appears to be Macro Polo Too, which is moving into the former Newburport Card & Gift spot. The windows are papered up, but there's definitely work going on inside. (In fact, I think they cut holes in the paper to let you watch what's going to unfold.

I never heard of the business but a quick Google search came up with this shop in Portsmouth. I'll reserve judgment (and ask you to keep unkind comments to yourself) until I actually see the place, but I'm fairly sure my demand for novelties won't be as high as my demand for wrapping paper or greeting cards.

But maybe the kids will like it. And at least the storefront is full.

2 comments:

Dick Monahan said...

The one in Portsmouth has been there for many years. I've wandered into it while waiting for my wife to shop nearby. I've never seen anything I wanted to buy, but there were usually a number of folks shopping. My guess is the rents in Portsmouth are at least as high as they are here, so if it makes money there, it stands a good chance of doing so here.

Bean said...

Fantastic! I've been looking for a local place that sells fake plastic pooh.

Other Port Posters