Thursday, March 17, 2011

Charter Changes

Epic blogger fail for not posting a note about last night's Charter Review Commission hearing or attending said meeting. But I read in the News this morning that my one concern was expressed.

If we're going to switch to a four-year mayoral term we need some sort of recall mechanism.

The proposed Charter, as it stands, swings the pendulum too far in the other direction. I do think a good mayor can me more productive if they're allowed to serve four-year terms rather than two, and I agree with that portion of the charter proposal.

That said, I also think a bad mayor can be more destructive if they're allowed to serve four years instead of two.

Some sort of recall mechanism needs to be in place if we're going to ask people to relinquish their right to vote. Establish a high enough bar so recalls won't be pursued recklessly, but we need to protect the city from our own potential mistakes.

I'd be inclined to vote no if a change isn't included.

No comments:

Other Port Posters