Tuesday, November 3, 2009

And the winners are....

The Daily News just confirmed what I wrote in a comment.

Based on the unofficial vote tally last night, the others voted to the commission, in alphabetical order, were:

Kathleen Bailey, chairman of this year's Yankee Homecoming Committee;

C. Bruce Brown, a former city councilor and Waterfront Trust member whose son is U.S. Senate candidate Scott Brown;

Steve Cole, a lifetime Newburyport resident who is a member of the School Committee;

Roger Gagnon, a history teacher for 36 years at Newburyport High School who recently retired;

Hugh Kelleher, executive director of the Plumbing Contractors Association of Greater Boston who charis the city’s Tree Committee;

Bruce Menin, a non-profit administrator who was re-elected to a fourth term on the School Committee last night;

Sheila Mullins, an interior designer who has lived in Newburyport for 22 years;

James Stiles, a data manager and environmental examiner who was runner-up for mayor two years ago;

and Bruce Vogel, a regional manager for an e-mail service provider who served four years on City Council.


Again, congratulations and good luck to the commissioners.

7 comments:

Dick Monahan said...

Obviously, that's a list of the folks with name recognition; i.e., the people who have run before. I'm not impressed.

Tom Ryan said...

Amen, Dick.

Anonymous said...

people who've lived here the longest, as it should be.

Tom Salemi said...

Yeah, I clearly had an uphill battle and I thought so going in. I got caught in people telling me how well I would do, so many in fact that I started believing them.

I didn't really campaign at all (but no one really did) so I can't complain. It was also an unusual race. We couldn't really campaign on promises or issues. People really had to make decisions on who they were comfortable with, so that gave a huge advantage to well-known names.

I irony is that one of the big name winners reportedly spent the past few days begging people NOT to vote for him so we'll see how he does.

Voters get out what they put in.

But I'm happy with several of the commission members, and I'll do what I can to support the process.

Anon II said...

Lot of talkers on that commission. I see long meetings ahead!

Anonymous said...

A lot of hot air, enormous egos, and empty heads among those elected to the charter commission. It'll be going nowhere fast.

Tom Salemi said...

They could have used a genius like anonymous. Should have thrown your hat in the ring.

Other Port Posters