Wednesday, June 15, 2011

(Not enough) Cabbage (from) Patch?

Yeowch, I pulled a muscle forcing that headline.

I hear positive things about Patch, the online, town-specific local news site that's popped up over the North Shore and elsewhere. I'm still not convinced online ventures like that can make real money, at least not easily.

Business sites like CNET certainly get the job done and a good local site might command a loyal enough readership to make it happen.

Given our intense interest in local affairs, I've wondered why we haven't had one in Port yet. Seem like a perfect fit. Perhaps the valiant efforts of bloggers like myself, the Masked Preservationist and the entrepreneurial endeavors of News Maven Kim Gobbi's Newburyport Today is keeping the AOL Barbarians outside the gate. Or the Daily News is too imposing.

Or we're just too small a market.

Anyway, someone sent me this Business Insider piece. Leaves me wondering if we'll ever see a Patch here or anywhere.

The source is a disgruntled employee, so put as much value in it as you like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you'll see one in amesbury first. they'll try to split the Daily News market and move into Newburyport when they are established in the area.

Anonymous said...

I've been wondering the same thing, their Northshore editor is a former Daily News reporter and their New Hamphire editor is a former Tribune editor so it would seem like they would hit the Newburyport area hard. as far as the market size they are in smaller markets, North Reading, Lynnfield, Marblehead, el al.
honestly I can't figure how they'll succeed, the quality of their sites vary greatly, but we shall see. It is good to see journlist getting hired.

Other Port Posters