Saturday, May 30, 2009

Kudos to Ed Cameron

Elected officials often are too coy or reticent to speak about their political intentions. Not Ed, he made them clear as day in his recent blog post. No drama. No waiting for the white smoke. Just transparency. Nice.

In that same spirit, I've been a bit disappointed the Mayor Moak hasn't used his forum on the Newburyport Today blog to address his professional intentions. It's his one outlet where his completely unedited point of view reaches the masses. I think he should have opened up on what's a very important issue.

And here's hoping he decides his political future over the next week or so so candidates like Ed, James Shanley and Donna Holladay can make their plans and align their teams.

Course, Ed probably sought to scoop the Daily News. But so be it. Unfortunately, the article suggested Ed would run against the mayor, which doesn't seem to be the case.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

ed can't win with a whole ward opposing him

Tom Salemi said...

A whole ward? Wow, Ed is a uniter.

Tom Salemi said...

Seriously, I think it's probably too soon to start handicapping. Plus, I'm sure some seniors will look upon him favorably. Could offset some opposition. We'll see.

Clipper89 said...

Tom, I would take your appraisal of Councillor Caneron with a grain of salt. You have called him a neighbor and friend and have been a big booster in the past. Let him defend himself. I'm sure he will.

Tom Salemi said...

Please do.

I strive to be fair, but I intentionally make my biases known to all.

ECC said...

Tom,

First of all, just want to say that I don't agree with your comment about my intentions being 'clear as day.' In fact, I've made them pretty vague; pulling papers for three different offices could be construed as unorthodox but it's pretty simple. I just want to keep the doors open.

There seems to be a lot of flux in the political landscape so I don't want to be kicking myself on July 28th, when nomination papers are due, for making the wrong choice.

As my 3 year old daughter shouts from her crib at bedtime every night, "Keep a door open!"

Re a whole ward voting against me, I assume the reference is to Ward 3 and Cushing Park. A Council supermajority voted for the change in designation to allow a Senior Center, a change also supported by Mayor Moak. Since that vote, I've been involved in the Senior Center Building Committee which has heard input from many neighbors. Those sessions have been very constructive and I think the end result should be a much improved space for seniors AND neighbors.

Anonymous said...

except if you have to park your car there in a snow storm...

Tom Salemi said...

Hmmm, I read your post to suggest your intention was to keep doors open. I'm not exactly sure where the disagreement lies, but okay.

Anonymous said...

Maybe Anon is referring to Cameron's own ward, #4. Cameron's been so busy acting like a councilor-at-large that it's as if we don't even have a ward councilor in Ward 4. Probably how the residents of Ward 3 feel about their own "ward" councilor, who acts like a de-facto mayor. People should read the job description b4 they run for office. A ward councilor is supposed to be the voice of their ward and represent the residents' rights. What exactly has Ed Cameron done for Ward 4?

Tom Salemi said...

I'm still no sure what he hasn't done. What are your complaints?

Other Port Posters