Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Why is Lyons Leaving?

Kudos to the Daily News for getting an article out today. I was actually surprised they didn't send someone to Hudson for the vote. But I suppose they'd have a difficult time filing a story in time for the deadline.

Quick thoughts, I know the school committee members are reluctant to share details although the minutes from the executive session--assuming there are some--need to be made public per open meeting law now the Lyons is leaving.

But I hope Kevin Lyons opens up and explains why he's leaving. No doubt, the salary came into play. But if there's more to the story--including shortcomings here in Newburyport--than he should offer them up.

Parents put a great deal of faith into their educational leaders, definitely more so than any other department heads. I think this level of support needs to be rewarded with a higher degree of candor than we might get from other city leaders.

Update: Perhaps we'll learn more. Gillian Swart says she's talked with him.

1 comment:

Gillian Swart said...

He did not say anything bad about Newburyport to me, but he did say a lot of things about Hudson that made it clear to me at least that it's a better fit for him. I talked to Bechtel as well but he said nothing to me along the lines of what's in the DN story (except the part about disappointment). I do, however, notice a marked change in tone from other SC members from before the executive session to after it, so he obviously gave them an earful.

Other Port Posters