Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Cuckoo for Cuckoo's Nest

I'm a huge fan of businesses that go above and beyond. For example, if I store stays open a few minutes late so I can pick up a crucial item, I'm their's. Grand Trunk has done it. So has the Natural Dog and Village Pet Shop. Conversely, I also hold ridiculously huge grudges against businesses that don't honor me--the regular customer.

(I still haven't forgotten the one experience when during my exile when I pulled off 95 to grab a coffee at Cafe Bagel, formerly at Port Plaza. It was 6:45 p.m. The shop closed at 7 p.m. but the doors were locked. The two teenage girls cleaning behind the counter just shrugged when I stared through the door. I'm a small man. I never forgave them and....well, look what happened.)

Anyway, the Cuckoo's Nest earned a place in my honor roll on Saturday. On the way to a birthday party in New Hampshire, I went downtown looking to buy a Celtics or Red Sox outfit for the birthday boy: the two-year-old son of of a very good friend of mine. I wanted to hit the Cuckoo's Nest because I knew they'd have what I wanted.

The Boy, who was the guest at the party, and I met up with a friend who, after hearing my plans, dropped the bomb that the Cuckoo's Nest had vacated its State Street quarters. Only then did I remember that the store was moving up to Pleasant Street at the former Market Flair site. I only hoped the move was complete, and the store was open.

My hopes were dashed. As I rounded the corner of State and Pleasant I spotted the brown paper covering the windows. We forged ahead anyway, hoping to get the full story. Once we were in front of the store we saw the note that told us the store would open sometime in March, but it offered no further details.

Peering through the gaps between the paper and the door frame, we eyed merchandise hanging neatly on the walls of the store. We also hear a fairly large crowd inside, but the store was clearly closed. Still, we stayed and we hoped.

I proceeded to tell my friend--in a louder than normal voice--how badly I needed to buy something for this birthday boy. Where oh where would I find an authentic Celtics jersey or Red Sox outfit for a two-year-old with the party starting in just a few minutes.

Just then, the door opened. A family lined out of the store and the store's owner--never got her name--asked if we needed help and offered that the store would open in a week. I made a dumb joke about waiting outside until the day came, and then explained my plight. You know where this is going.

She immediately let me in the store, allowed me to pick out an outfit and even gave The Boy, who thankfully is too young to be embarrassed by his father, a free baseball that screams out Joe Castiglione's famous call of the final play of the 2004 World Series. (I never get tired of hearing that.) She was even ready to take my debit card.

I recognize this doesn't rank high in the list of humanitarian efforts. But I thought it was a very nice effort by a very nice lady who is opening a very nice shop this weekend. Make sure you check it out.

The birthday boy loved the outfit, btw. Thanks Cuckoo's Nest.

UPDATE: Walked by this morning. CN appears to be open now.

2 comments:

Gillian Swart said...

Tom, I stopped by there today. She's not entirely open (they are still unpacking) but she's not turning away customers. Her name is Karen Fletcher.

Tom Salemi said...

Oops. Thanks!

Other Port Posters