Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Shame on Me

I've largely ignored the arguments over renewing the license of the Seabrook Power Plant. It wasn't an conscious decision; I guess apathy never is. I must have just assumed the complaints were coming from some leftover opponents of the construction of Seabrook in the 1970s and 1980s.

I'm paying closer attention from now on.

About a dozen opponents to the relicensing spoke eloquently before the City Council last night, raising what struck me as legitimate concerns about the state of the plant, specifically the degrading concrete in some of the tunnels that come into contact with sea water.

I didn't take notes but you should take some time to listen to their testimony. The meeting should be available on the council's Web site sometime soon.

The sentiments expressed by the opponents were strong enough to convince City Councilors to unanimously approve a resolution demanding a halt to the relicensing process until further studies can be done on the safety of the plant. Their comments are worth listening to as well with Councilors Tom Jones, Barry Connell and Katy Ives speaking to the issue.

Ives says she hoped the concerns and the resolution would shake the apathy off the the majority of voters who simply aren't paying close enough attention.

Well, you woke me up.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is a completely powerless resolution, correct? seeing that the plant is in a different state I can't imagine why we were wasting time having a vote on it

Tom Salemi said...

Powerless? I guess. I mean the City Council doesn't have the authority to shut the plant down or bend the NRC to its will.

But it adds another official voice to the rising chorus of critics. There is power in that if others lend their voice as well.

As for the plant being in NH, the NRC is a federal entity so it answers to us as well.

Other Port Posters