Tuesday, May 10, 2011

No (or Little) Vacancy

The Daily News offered a comprehensive look at the downtown today, showing that we actually have very little space left in our tight retail district.

This is good news, especially since national reports suggest shopping mall vacancies are on the rise. This clearly shows unique sells, and we've got plenty of that (and still no chain stores.)

A few things of note:

I wrote an article on Steve Rankin's opening of Gram's back in The Day. At the time he'd left a job in public broadcasting (if I recall correctly) to start a new career as a small business owner. I'm glad it worked out so well and wish him the best in his next stage. I admire those people who take the chance to reinvent themselves.

I was disappointed to read that my health club Vanguard Key Club at the former Fitness Factory had closed then relieved to find out that it really hadn't. I stopped by there today on my way to work (admittedly the first time in weeks since nice weather and a bad back has kept me away) and all seems to be the same. Expect a correction tomorrow.

It's clear that the threat of a paid parking plan isn't scaring away business owners. I'm confident it won't affect customers either.

But those interested in shopping where the parking is free will have a few new options on Storey Ave. I've heard from a few folks that Olympia Sporting Goods is opening a shop at the Market Basket Plaza in the site of the former Blockbuster. It apparently will share space with a Sal's Pizza (love Sal's, but we have enough pizza).

No comments:

Other Port Posters