Thursday, April 28, 2011

Tom Ryan's Newburyport - Question 3

You're understandably excited to be featured in the upcoming Literary Festival. But you're also determined on trying to launch the book here in Newburyport. Why? Why not the mountains where this  story really takes off? Are you being drawn by personal connections you have with some locals or is something inside directing you here?

Not only is it symbolic since Newburyport is where I started my writing life and the book opens in Newburyport, there are two other reasons as well.  One is Jabberwocky Bookshop.

Sue Little has created a special place and Newburyport is lucky to have her and the store, especially in these days of e-books and on-line booksellers when the majority of indie bookstores have disappeared.

And it only starts with Sue.  Paul Abruzzi, the manager, is not only one of my best friends he’s also helped me as a writer, just as he’s helped many others.  It was Paul who got me started in turning this story into a book, first in helping me find and agent, then in always being there to talk about the steps along the way while offering guidance and encouragement.

When Atticus went through some pretty serious health issues after the winter we spent hiking to raise money for the Jimmy Fund and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Vicki Pearson’s name, it was Paul who led the fundraising efforts to raise money for his vet bills.

The second reason is Newburyport herself.  My connection with the city is through the people I know, while my connection with the North Country is with the mountains themselves.

I’m setting it up with my publisher that our debut is at Jabberwocky, but right after that we’ll have author appearances in Lincoln, New Hampshire, on the western side of the White Mountains, and in the North Conway area, on the eastern side.  I have connections to both towns.

Not long ago I was talking with my friend Steve Smith, the noted longtime White Mountain columnist and author of many North Country hiking guides and hiking books.  We figured out that Following Atticus is the first nationally published book that focuses on the White Mountains.  I take some pride in that.  

No comments:

Other Port Posters