Wednesday, April 1, 2009

One BLT, with a side of Syrah

I'll be honest. I wasn't a huge Taffy's fan back in the 1990s.

I know. I'm a yuppie. I know. I didn't appreciate "the real Newburyport."

I didn't dislike Taffy's. I just didn't think it was worth the march up State Street. I usually hit Angies, Fowle's and, if I wanted to spend an entire afternoon scoring an overpriced sandwich, the former Middle Street Foods.

Heck I probably hit the old Bergson's 10-times more than I hit Taffy's. (Other favorites include Foodees, Ciro's and the old salad bar at Teaberries.)

I just wanted to lay all that out on the table so I didn't come off as a major hypocrite in stating that I'm glad Taffy's is coming back. I'm always in the market for a lunch alternative, and I work so comfortably close to Taffy's now that I can see it becoming a regular haunt. I just hope they serve a decent cup of coffee.

Apparently, they'll be serving something else too. I just found out that someone--I'm unclear who exactly--is looking to open a wine bar somewhere behind Taffy's, probably in the building along Prince Place and across from the library. The liquor commission will take up the application tonight.

No details beyond that, but if I can wash a club sandwich down with a glass of David Bruce Syrah, I'll be a happy man.

Now, commence with the hurling of the yuppie-themed invectives.

5 comments:

Dick Monahan said...

You could have had free hors d'oeuvres with your Syrah at the Port Tavern, where there was a ribbon cutting this afternoon.

I thought I was going to get to meet all of the important journalists of the city, and none of you were there.

What could possibly be more important than the opening of a new Guinness tap?

Anonymous said...

Will you be able to place bets at Taffy's once again? Then you could put $50 bucks on the Patriots to win the spread while you're enjoying your sandwich and glass of wine.

Tom Salemi said...

Ooo, now you're talking.

BTW, an eyewitness report suggest the wine bar proposal didn't get the warm and fuzzies from the licensing board. Aforementioned witness with eyes suggests things don't look good for my Yuppie paradise.

I can't imagine why anyone whose willing to start a legit biz in this economy isn't embraced.

Tom Salemi said...

Dick-
On the record, my employer has a strict "Work during Work" policy. So cruel.

Off-the-record, I forgot until it was too late.

Shame, I would like to have met these important folks myself.

Bean said...

Tom,

I know it has nothing to do with Taffy's, but took the family, including my in-laws, to the Port Tavern on Monday night.

We had top-notch service (which you know is number one on my list), delicious food, and expertly poured Guiness.

Big thumbs up from this local critic, that's for sure. We will definitely be heading back soon.

Other Port Posters