Monday, October 6, 2008

Shhhh

Things have been unusually quiet around the local blogosphere. If we're on strike, no one told me. I've just been busy with work and life.

But I have to admit, this world financial crisis is like a major distraction.

On one hand, all the turmoil seems so far away, particularly as the media focuses more on the impact on Wall Street than on Main Street (or State Street in our case.)

But this obviously isn't some storm that won't find it's way north. This one hurts and will continue to hurt for a good long while. (According to the NY Time article I just posted, yachts will be the first luxury items that the Wall Street types will sacrifice. I suppose high end sofas and $600 suits might be on the list somewhere.)

I don't draw a great deal of comfort from the Current's proclamation that our local economy is on sound footing based on the strength of our three local banks. I'm not so sure we have a local economy any more except for the downtown retail sector. Most of the people I know either work outside of Port or work for companies outside of Port, and there's some significant concern out there.

Anyway, this is harsh talk for a Monday. I just meant to check in to let you know this blog lives. I've just had a hard time really giving serious thought to how many parking spaces should be on the waterfront while Wall Street burns.

If you've got any thoughts to add feel free to chime in. That's what we're here for.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The economy's not all bad. It's looking good for mayors and solar panel salesmen who strike quickie deals with our money!

Emo said...

$600 is cheap for a suit, Inkstained Wretch. It'll be mediocre off the rack at that price.

My tailor charges about $2,000 for a custom job, and he isn't near the top of the market.

(No, I don't have one. I put too much stress on suits to pay that much for something I'm going to tear when carrying boxes of evidence into court. I buy Brooks Brothers off the rack for $800 to $1,200, but no one on Wall Street would be caught dead in such plebian rags.)

Anonymous said...

Tom,
Maybe its a good time for the community at large to start thinking about keeping our money closer to home by trying to buy more local services and products, drive less to save gas, promote 'barter' of services -like reciprocal baby sitting, home repairs, etc. Also with Fall here preserving local produce for Winter might keep more money locally.

Tom Salemi said...

So can I still go to Amesbury for Pizza?

If so, I'm on board.

As for you Paul, I paid $300 for my suit...

back in 2000ish.

I don't wear suits often. I like that about my life.

Other Port Posters