Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Just Walk Away

I've got a great deal of admiration for the folks organizing the anti-IBEW rally mentioned in today's Daily News. I loved the signs. I have one on my yard, and the random sign-holders are nice. I toot the horn. I wave.

But  I just can't stop thinking this anti-IBEW rally is ill-conceived.

They've failed. They have zero credibility here and an equal amount of support. The post card was nice, but they could hold an ice cream social downtown and most folks would still hate them.

The softening of the campaign makes sense, but again, too little way too late. Perhaps if IBEW had opened with an actual labor message instead of disparaging comments about the quality of OUR hospital or its doctors (OUR neighbors in some cases) they might have had a shot. They could have appealed to our somewhat liberal nature and earned an audience, at least.

But they didn't. They went ugly, and they got ugly.

Let's face it. We love our hospital. My youngest was born there.The AJ cared for my older son when he broke his ankle. I take great comfort knowing I have a quality hospital just up the street from my house.

So IBEW faced a pretty steep climb even before they dug themselves in a hole. Even my kid asks why can't they just move on. (He was turned off big-time by the giant rat, way to wins hearts and minds IBEW.) They're clearly flailing about, looking for something to latch onto. I can't see these guys sticking around past the first snow fall if they continue to be ignored.

However, if we turn this into a pissing match they may have no choice except sticking around lest they seen as being chased out of town by a bunch of locals.

Maybe I'm wrong.  I do respect people who stand up against bullies. It's an important lesson to teach.

But so is walking away from a pointless fight.


No comments:

Other Port Posters