Thursday, July 1, 2010

Pay Raise Wrong

Onto other council news, while I didn't agree with her stance on Oregano's pursuit of an outdoor liquor license, I completely agree with Councillor-at-Large O'Connor Ives' position on the granting of a mayoral pay raise. It shouldn't have happened, not yet anyway.

In case you missed it in the Daily News:

The City Council agreed last night in a 9-0 vote to approve a salary boost for Holaday, beginning in fiscal year 2011. Councilor Brian Derrivan was absent, and at-large Councilor Kathleen O'Connor Ives voted present.
The mayor's pay will increase to $75,000 for fiscal year 2011, along with a $3,000 annual expense allowance. Starting in fiscal year 2012, the mayor's salary would be $85,000 with a $3,000 annual expense allowance.
Currently, the mayor's salary is $60,000 with two stipends for expenses and travel, which total $5,000. It is the lowest among all mayors in the Merrimack Valley and North Shore.
Like everyone else, I don't dispute the mayor is underpaid. And I'd support any increase to the salary for the person who wins the office in Nov. 2011. However, Mayor Holaday ran for THIS office with THIS salary. I don't feel any responsibility to give her a pay raise based upon five months of work.

Ives, an at-large councilor, said she understands the need to raise the mayor's salary and the compensation is too low.
"I don't question that in the least," she said.
However, she added, she is concerned about the timing of the raise, which takes effect when a mayor is already in office. Ives argued the raise should go into effect at the start of a new term.
"It shouldn't be about any specific mayor," Ives said, adding that she believes Holaday is doing a good job. "I want it to be about the compensation, that's it. Right now, there's a specific mayor."

I also fear what message this sends to unions and citizens. Mayor Holaday correctly voted against giving teachers raises back in Jan., saying we didn't have the money. In parking garage discussions, she's stated the city is broke and can't afford to contribute any sizable sum to its construction, another point with which I agree.

Now this. I know, the increase is merely a drop of water in the city's budget bucket. But it's a symbol, and leaders count on symbols and images to lead. Mayor Holaday just lost a big one.

Add: Councillor-At-Large Ari Herzog briefly addressed this and the Oregano's matter in his blog today. I hope our other blogging councilors will follow suit.

10 comments:

Joe said...

Any idea why Councillor-at-Large O'Connor Ives voted "present" instead of "no". If she truly believed it was wrong, then vote "no", no?

Tom Salemi said...

Joe Bless you. A name. A picture. This is a rarity for commenters.

In a word, No. I don't know for sure why she voted present as I only know what I read in the papers.

But I'm sure she could argue that it reflected her support for the raise, but her lack of support for the timing.

Also, she'll likely need something from the Mayor someday.

Tom Salemi said...

In short, I don't blame her for voting present.

Anonymous said...

page one out of the Obama playbook, vote present every chance you get

Joe said...

AND a thumbs-up! I don't comment often, but I'm listening. Thanks for your blog.

Wondering said...

Approving a raise that takes effect a few days later? Is that legal?

Tom Salemi said...

Sure. It's just a line in the budget.

PI guy said...

Check the city charter, Tom. They have to wait for the raise to take effect.

Tom Salemi said...

Charter? What Charter? Ooooh that Charter....

I shall do so and report back at a later date.

Gillian Swart said...

OK, so in my story in the Current, I explained why Ives voted "present" ... that is (as you speculated, Tom), she did not oppose the pay raise, she just did not think now was the time to do it.

Other Port Posters