Friday, October 1, 2010

And the winner is Monroe

Folks, from here on in we're spelling Monroe Street with an "o."

We have it on exceptionally good authority that several venerables: Bill Coltin, long time city editor at the Daily News, and Todd Woodworth, noted local historian, had insisted the correct spelling was Monroe, as in President James Monroe.

Add John James Currier to the list and that's three opinions I respect.

No disrespect to the City Councilors, attorneys and the city's street list. But I just think Munroe is wrong.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

told you so

Tom Salemi said...

Told ME?! I'm the one who pointed out the error.

You locals/long-times screwed up the street list.

But I'm happy to help.

Mike said...

I also noticed the error a while ago. If you ask long-timers who lived in this area, the street has been pronounced consistent with the spelling Munroe.

Other Port Posters